This post was last Updated on by Himanshu Tyagi to reflect the accuracy and up-to-date information on the page.
Are you confused about whether you should encourage your kids to code? If yes, in this article, you will find all the answers to your questions, as here we will share 10+ reasons you should teach coding to your kids.
Before getting started, read some fantastic stats by Code.org.
- 90% of parents want their child to study computer science and choose coding as a career
- 54% of students like computer science as a subject
- $.58M lifetime earnings of a high school graduate
- $1.19M lifetime earnings of a college graduate
- $1.67M lifetime earnings of a computer science major
- A computer science major can earn 40% more than the college average
Let’s investigate how coding can help your kids excel and develop problem-solving skills.
Also Read: 12 Best Coding Toys For Kids of All Ages
10+ Reasons why you should teach coding to kids
Coding is fundamental for kids, and every school around the globe should teach them to kids. It will help their overall personal development and boost their problem-solving skills.
The most common concern for parents is at what age they should start teaching programming to their kids.
The answer to this question is subjective, and you should understand that coding for kids differs from what professionals do.
The journey for kids to begin their coding journey should be fun and creative. Otherwise, they will feel quickly lose interest.
Do not overboard your kids with coding at a very young age. You can start teaching programming basics to your kids from 6-7. The best way is to let your kids be creative and increase their technicality as they progress in their academic phase.
It’s vital in the 21st century to help develop academically and improve organizational skills and perseverance, leading to a great career.
Various studies have shown that children who study computer science perform better in other subjects are excellent at problem-solving, and 17% are more likely to attend college.
Let’s now dig deep and explore the benefits of coding for kids.
Also Read: Introduction To Programming With Python 3.
Coding benefits related to the academic performance of kids
1. Writing: Coding helps improve writing skills by teaching the value of concision and planning, indirectly leading to good writing skills.
2. Creativity: Coding helps build creativity as codes run on experimentation and strengthen their brains, indirectly embracing creativity.
3. Math: Coding is based on logic like math, which, however, helps build mathematical skills. It also helps to visualize abstract concepts and makes math more fun and creative.
4. Confidence: Parents have reported that coding helps build problem-solving skills. And indirectly helps in boosting the confidence level of kids.
Coding benefits related to the soft skills of kids
5. Problem-solving skills: In coding, kids breakdown the complex problem into smaller parts. In various other fields, we can apply this skill and enhance a kid’s problem-solving skills.
Solving complex problems is a skill that is required in general. Understanding the logical sequence of solving problems will help your children throughout life.
6. Collaboration: Coding skills teach your children to work in teams on various projects, which lets them learn teamwork.
Collaboration with other students is required in coding skills they join by technology’s common interest. And these collaborative skills will also be needed in their future in the workplace.
7. Communication: Communication is a skill required in every stage of life, whether it is school, college, work, or whole life.
Coding teaches how to break complex problems into easy ones and arrange them into a language that computers can easily understand. A child who knows to communicate complex ideas will grow in various industries in other life.
8. Persistence: Learning a new skill can be challenging at the starting stage. But tackling these problems can teach the valuable skill of persistence.
Making mistakes, learning to solve problems, and researching for better solutions can build this highly desirable skill.
Coding benefits related to the future journey of kids
9. Competitive Advantage: If your kids learn to code, then when they apply to colleges, internships, and jobs, they can gain a competitive advantage over their peers.
When your child has a hot skill like coding, they appear more desirable in potential employers’ and admission faculty’s eyes.
10. Empowerment: Learning coding will allow your kids to work on great projects you can be proud of, as it makes a difference. Through coding, they can make innovations to help others.
Kids share positive messages through storytelling. Coding can empower kids to be the authority on something and helps others by teaching others about the topics they excel in.
11. Tech skills: In digital literacy, programming is essential for kids to learn and become familiar with computers and other technologies.
12. Career Preparation: Coding is a highly demanding skill among the highest-paying jobs. If a kid knows to code from a small page, then it will help them in their future to grow in the tech industry.
In the 21st century, coding is slowly becoming an essential skill for kids to become future-ready. Therefore, you should start engaging your kids in the world of coding. Teaching kids how to code is fun and will help them become more creative and build a strong mindset.
However, despite all the benefits of coding for kids, you should not push them hard if they don’t want to. In our next post, we will share some excellent resources that you can use to introduce programming to your kids and see if they want to do it or not.
Let us know if you plan to teach your kids coding in the comments section. If you face any issues, write us at [email protected], and we will try to assist you.