Are you looking for some free apps to call internationally? If yes, we have compiled a list of the 16 best free international calling apps you can use, from chatting with friends to conducting online meetings.
The best part is that some international calling apps provide advanced features such as screen share and in-meeting chats. So, if you are looking for a good app for collaboration with your remote team, you can find tools.
We all know that conventional telecom providers charge a lot for international calls. It would help if you bought additional packages to make calls, but you can make unlimited calls with these VoIP apps without worrying about hefty monthly bills.
Table of Contents
- What is VoIP?
- Do I need an internet connection for these apps?
- 16 Best Free International Calling Apps In 2020
- 1. Skype
- 2. WhatsApp
- 3. FaceTime
- 4. Google Duo
- 5. Talk Home App
- 6. Facebook Messenger
- 7. Slack
- 8. IMO
- 9. Viber
- 10. WeChat
- 11. Instagram
- 12. Cisco Webex
- 13. Google Meet
- 14. Starleaf
- 15. Spike
- 16. Workplace by Facebook
What is VoIP?
VoIP stands for Voice over Internet Protocol, which is why these best free apps can facilitate free international calls. VoIP converts audio or analog signals to digital data transferred to the destination. This digital data (binary format) is converted to audio signals at the destination. Thus, facilitating a seamless calling experience without burdening your pocket.
Do I need an internet connection for these apps?
Yes, most of these calling apps depend on your internet speed. With a stable connection, you will have a less interrupted experience – no screen lags, audio lags, choppy voice, and other common VoIP problems.
Now that you know about VoIP let’s see the ten best free calling apps you can use to connect with people internationally.
16 Best Free International Calling Apps In 2020
Skype is an app that needs no introduction. It has been there for quite a while, helping people connect irrespective of location.
It is a full-fledged tool for remote collaboration as well. Skype allows you to make free audio and video calls. You also get many features such as a share screen, giving remote control to the other person, in-meeting chat, etc.
The only con of Skype is that you can’t use it to dial cell phones and landline numbers with its free version. For that, you have to buy Skype credits, and after that, you can call any phone or landline number anywhere.
I have used Skype for both personal and professional use. Remote meetings are fun on Skype, and I feel the experience is far better than Zoom. The only con of Skype is that the video quality depends on your internet speed.
Some notable features of Skype
- Live subtitles
- Use Skype to call phones (paid feature)
- Record audio and video calls
WhatsApp will have a projected 2.7 billion users in 2020 and is one of the most popular apps you can use to make international calls free of cost. You can use it to make both audio and video calls.
To make a free international call using WhatsApp, you must save the other person’s contact. After saving the contact, ping them on WhatsApp.
The best part is that as it is the most widely used application globally, you can easily connect with your clients and customers worldwide. If you plan to use WhatsApp for business purposes, you should check our WhatsApp Business, as it offers more extensive features such as automated messages, quick replies, and labels.
Features of WhatsApp messenger
- Simple messaging
- Group chat with up to 256 people
- Free voice and video calls
- Desktop app
- Share photos, videos, and other files
- Send quick voice messages
- Pin important chats
- Bookmark messages to quickly access later
- Mark messages to answer later
If you have an iPhone, you must already be familiar with FaceTime. It is a video chat application by Apple for Apple users. The best part of FaceTime is that it works on both WiFi and cellular internet connections.
However, the only con is that the other person should also have a FaceTime application, which is unavailable for non-iOS users, such as Android and Windows.
If your friends and family have FaceTime, dial their mobile number or FaceTime ID to make a free international call.
Features of FaceTime:
- Group FaceTime with up to 32 contacts
- Supports both audio and video calls
- Supports major international languages such as Arabic, Hebrew, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Spanish, Polish, Portuguese, and others
- Facetime works on both WiFi and cellular connections
- Compatible with iOS 10 or later
- Support iPhones, iPads, and even Macs
Also Read: 4 Best Free Mugshot Generator Tools.
4. Google Duo
Google Duo is another one of the best apps that you can use for free international calling. You can make free audio and video calls to your contacts.
So, if you want to connect with your friends and family in foreign countries, you can use Google Duo.
I used Google Duo when I had an Android phone. The call quality is excellent and performs better even with a low-speed internet connection.
Features of Google Duo
- Face-to-face video conversations with up to 12 people
- Works on both iOS and Android platforms
- Preview of persona calling with knock-knock feature
- Send a video message to share a moment
- Secure with end-to-end encryption
- A web-based version is also available
5. Talk Home App
Talk Home App is a leading international calling app offering cheap and reliable international calls to over 240 countries in 2022. Stay in touch with your loved ones abroad with unlimited minutes, text messages, international top-ups, etc.
The app uses innovative technologies like Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) and local lines to provide a reliable and high-quality voice connection.
The Talk Home App offers unbeatable international calling rates starting at 1/p per minute. And send top-ups internationally to 150 countries so your loved ones never run out of credit.
Features of Talk Home App
- Make high-quality, crystal-clear phone calls every time
- The best international calling rates for 240+ countries
- Experience complete transparency and zero hidden fees
- In-app credit transfer facility to instantly transfer app credit
- Secure & backed by leading networks worldwide for 20+ years
6. Facebook Messenger
Facebook is the social media network of the century and is here to stay for many years. As the utmost goal of Facebook is to connect people worldwide, it is doing a pretty good job with its Messenger application.
All you need is a Facebook account to use Messenger and connect with anyone to make free audio and video calls. It also supports group audio and video calls.
Some professional features of Facebook messenger include creating polls and adding reminders. You can create groups for your teams and quickly add nicknames to the conversations to identify their purpose.
Like other free international calling apps, it also supports file sharing.
Features of Facebook Messenger
- Group video calls up to 50 people
- Send and request money
- Send video and audio messages
- Supports integration of third-party extensions with conversations
- Access chatbots for a variety of purposes, from booking a movie ticket to getting the latest news update
- Add nicknames to conversations
- Start an encrypted secret conversation
- Use as a default messaging app for your phone
Also Read: 5 Best Mickey Mouse Font Generator Websites.
Slack is one of the best apps for making free calls internationally. It is popularly known for its team collaboration features.
It offers both free and paid versions. It is sufficient for audio, video, and conference calls if you have basic requirements.
I would not recommend it for personal use. If you want to connect with your friends or family living in another country, WhatsApp, FaceTime, or Facebook Messenger offer more informal conversation tools such as emojis, sharing funny GIFs, etc.
If you are a startup or group member separated by geographical boundaries, then the accessible version of Slack is entirely sufficient for your remote communication requirements.
Getting started with Slack is pretty straightforward. Create a workspace and invite your team members to join it. Once your team members have joined the workspace, you create public or private channels and seamlessly collaborate with them through free audio and video calls, irrespective of their location.
Features of Slack
- Create team channels and team messaging
- Audio and video calls
- Supports integration with other applications such as Google Drive, Office 365, and 2,200+ others
- Workflow builder – automate routine tasks
- File sharing – deliver documents from anywhere
- Enterprise-grade data protection – single sign-on, domain claim, audit logs, and integrations with DLP (Data Loss Prevention) providers
- Pin messages and reference links to channels
- Advanced search modifiers
- Share screen during video calls
- Seamless integration with other video conferencing tools such as Zoom, Cisco Webex Meetings, Microsoft Teams, BlueJeans, and Google+ Hangouts
Limitations of the free version of Slack
- Access to 10,000 most recent messages of your teams
- Only ten integrations are available
- No group audio or video calls
- 5 GB file storage
- Standard customer support
IMO is another one of the most used internet messengers that you can use to make free international calls. It works as WhatsApp but has a cleaner UI to ensure better call quality, even on slow networks.
Features of IMO
- Audio and video calls
- Scan QR and barcode
- Support multi-person audio and video calls with up to 20 person
- Stable calls even on 2G networks
- HD video calls
- Support video calls to up to 20 members
- Support file and document sharing (ZIP, MP3, PDF, etc.)
Viber has more than 1 billion users and is another free chatting app for free international calling. Be it a one-on-one video meeting or conferencing up to 20 people.
All parties should have it installed on their phone or desktop to make free international calls using Viber. However, it also offers Viber Out, an affordable global calling plan to connect with people without an internet connection, and a Viber app.
I like it the most because it offers many security features, such as self-destruct chats, end-to-end encryption, and trusted contacts (similar to WhatsApp offers).
Features of Viber
- Send quick audio and video calls
- Make short voice calls and switch easily
- Chat extensions
- Stickers and GIFs
- Delete seen messages
- Cross-platform – available for Android, iOS, and desktop
- End-to-end encryption
WeChat is another of the top free international calling apps on this blog. Chatting Messenger works like WhatsApp and is quite popular in China. One of the significant limitations of WeChat is that it doesn’t offer end-to-end encryption.
Features of WeChat:
- Free audio and video calls
- Message broadcasting
- Conference calls
- Scan the QR code and share locations
- Newsfeed and support payments via WeChat E-wallet
- Integration with third-party apps to book rail tickets, taxis, movie tickets, movies, and other business services
Instagram is another of the best free international calling apps on this list. As it is social media and around 100 million users are on it, you can connect with anyone here without incurring huge telephony costs.
If you are not on Instagram, then first create an account. After that, please search for that person’s username and follow them. If that person’s account is private, you will instead send a request. After that person accepts your request, you can connect with them by sending a direct message.
Lastly, you can place a free audio or video call using Instagram with that person and enjoy a seamless conversation. The only limitation is that if you want to group video chat, there is a limit of a maximum of 6 participants at once.
12. Cisco Webex
Webex is widely popular as a communication tool for businesses. Therefore, if you are looking for a free solution to your remote communication requirements, Webex can serve this purpose exceptionally well.
Everything works on the fly, from hosting team meetings to connecting with potential clients over video conferencing. Hosting remote meetings is easy – create a meeting link and share it to invite anyone.
Your participants can quickly join from a video device and meet online using the shared link.
The best part of Cisco Webex is that it allows up to 100 participants in its free version, with premium features such as HD video, screen sharing, and private rooms.
Features of Cisco Webex
- Supports integration with Gmail, Google Drive, GitHub, Office 365, Outlook
- HD quality video
- Customizable video layouts
- Record meetings with automatic transcriptions
- View participants and message them personally or in the group conferencing
- Share your screen with participants to give presentations or demonstrate an idea
- Once a meeting is over, you will automatically receive an MP4 file of the audio/video conferencing
13. Google Meet
Google Meet is an enterprise-grade video conferencing solution that you can also make free international calls. Its interface is quite minimalistic and performs better than MS Teams.
Even on slow internet connections, you can expect decent call quality. You can either use it to chat with your friends or host group meetings with your remote team members based on your preferences.
All you need is a Googe account to use Google Meet. With its free version, you can invite up to 100 participants and chat for up to 60 minutes per session. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Google has removed this limit through September 30th.
Google Meet is one of the best free international calling apps. Do check it out.
Features of Google Meet
- Unlimited number of meetings
- Live captions service
- Support all devices and environments
- Audio and video preview screen
- Adjustable layouts
- The host can remove, pin, or mute participants
- Share a specific screen or an entire desktop with participants
- Supports integration with Microsoft and Google apps
- Join from a browser
- Native apps
- Encryption in transit and at rest and 2-step verification
Also Read: 35 Motivational Family Business Quotes.
Starleaf is another secure and reliable app for calling anyone internationally without any cost. It is a business communication tool and supports one-to-one audio and video chats. Additionally, you can also host group meetings on the platform. The only downside is that the time limit for group calls is 45 minutes.
Features of Starleaf free version
- Unlimited 1-to-1 audio and video calls
- The group calls up to 20 participants
- Schedule meetings for Outlook, Google, and Teams
- Join with SPI, Skype for business, or H.323
- 200 MB storage for file sharing
- ISO/IEC 27001 security certified
Spike is another all-in-one communication suite for businesses offering Email, notes, tasks, team messaging, and video calls. You can use it to host team meetings with your employees, irrespective of their geographical locations.
Just like Google Meet and Cisco Webex, there is no need to download or install this app for your meeting participants to join. You have to share the joining link with them; they can use their browsers (desktop or mobile) to enter.
Features of Spike
- Up to 15k message history
- 20 group participants
- 5 GB storage
- Ten groups
- Encrypted emails
- Live collaboration
- Screen sharing during video conferencing
- SRTP encryption
16. Workplace by Facebook
Workplace by Facebook is a communication tool that you can use for free to connect all your team members. The best part is that it lets you make free audio and video calls with your colleagues. Therefore, if you are looking for a free app for business communication purposes, you should check it out.
Features of Workplace by Facebook
- Create separate groups for teams and projects (up to 50)
- Share posts, videos, and documents in groups
- Live video broadcasting
- Personalized news feed
- Knowledge library for keeping static content
- Supports integrations with Office 365, Google Drive, Salesforce, and SharePoint
- Group HD voice or video calls
- Video meetings of up to 50 participants
- Screen sharing
- Take polls and surveys to gather employees’ feedback
- 5 GB file storage per person
Also Read: 30 Best Technology Quotes By World Leaders.
Recommended apps for personal use
With this, we conclude our hand-picked list of the best free international calling apps. During this COVID-19 pandemic, the world needs to be closer than ever, and businesses must communicate effectively to mitigate economic losses.
You can pick apps in this article for unlimited HD audio or video chat to anyone worldwide based on your preferences. If you want to connect informally with anyone or a group, I recommend chatting applications such as WhatsApp, WeChat, Viber, IMO, Facebook Messenger, or Instagram.
Recommended apps for business purposes
I recommend choosing an app that draws a line between your employees’ personal and professional space for business purposes. Slack is at the top of my recommendation list, as I have used it for various purposes.
Besides Slack, Google Meet is another quick way to connect for group meetings quickly. Create a meeting link and share it with the participants – no need to install anything, and it works seamlessly on mobile devices.
In the current company (500+ employees) I am working with, we are using MS Teams, and, being honest, I am not entirely happy with its performance. There are many bugs while file sharing and video call quality are sometimes not up to the mark, even on good networks. I hope it works very well for small teams but doesn’t perform well for large enterprises.
I recently started exploring the Workplace, which seems to be a promising communication tool for small teams. The interface is similar to Facebook, making it easier for employees to use as most are already familiar with it.
If I missed your favorite free international calling app, share it with others in the comments section or write to us at [email protected], and we will update this post.