Are you looking for some of the free apps to call internationally? If yes, then here we have compiled a list of 15 best free international calling apps that you can use for any purposes from chatting with friends to conduct online meetings.
The best part is that some of these international calling apps provide advanced features such as screen share and in-meeting chats. So, in case, you are looking for a good app for collaboration with your remote team, then you can find tools for that as well.
We all know that conventional telecom providers charge a lot for making international calls. You have to buy additional packages to make calls, but with these VoIP apps, you can make unlimited calling without having to worry about hefty monthly bills.
What is VoIP?
VoIP stands for Voice over Internet Protocol, and this is the reason these best free apps can facilitate free international calls. VoIP converts audio or analogue signals to digital data which is transferred over the destination. At the destination, this digital data (binary format) is converted to audio signals. Thus, facilitating seamless calling experience without being a burden on your pocket.
Do I need an internet connection for these apps?
Yes, most of these calling apps depend on the speed of your internet. If you have a stable connection, then you will have a less interrupted experience – no screen lags, audio lags, choppy voice, and other common VoIP problems.
Now, that you know a bit about VoIP, let’s see ten best free calling apps that you can use for connecting with people internationally.
15 Best Free International Calling Apps In 2020
Skype is an app which needs no introduction. It has been there for quite a while and helping people to connect irrespective of their locations.
It is a full-fledged tool for remote collaboration as well. Skype allows you to make free audio and video calls. Along with that, you get a multitude of features such as share screen, give remote control to the other person, in-meeting chat, etc.
The only con of Skype is that with its free version, you can’t use it to dial cell phones and landline numbers. For that, you have to buy Skype credits, and after that, you can call any phone or landline number anywhere.
I have used Skype for both personal and professional use. Remote meetings are fun on Skype, and I feel the experience is far better than Zoom. The only con of Skype is that the video quality depends on your internet speed.
Some notable features of Skype
- Live subtitles
- Use Skype to call phones (paid feature)
- Record audio and video calls
WhatsApp has projected 2.7 billion users in the year 2020 and is one of the most popular apps that you can use to make international calls free of cost. You can use it to make both audio and video calls.
To make a free international call using WhatsApp, all you have to do is save the contact of the other person. After saving the contact, ping them on WhatsApp.
The best part is that as it is the most widely used application around the globe, you can easily connect with your clients and customers around the world. In case you plan to use WhatsApp for business purposes, then you should check our WhatsApp Business as it offers more extensive features such as automated messages, quick replies, and labels.
Features of WhatsApp messenger
- Simple messaging
- Group chat with up to 256 people
- Free voice and video calls
- Desktop app
- Share photos, videos, and other files
- Send quick voice messages
- Pin important chats
- Bookmark messages to quickly access later
- Mark messages to answer later
If you have an iPhone, then you must already be familiar with FaceTime. It is a video chat application by Apple for Apple users. The best part of using FaceTime is that it works on both WiFi or cellular internet connections.
However, the only con is that the other person should also have FaceTime application, and it is not available for non-iOS users such as Android and Windows.
If your friends and family members have FaceTime, then you either have to dial their mobile number or FaceTime ID to make a free international call.
Features of FaceTime:
- Group FaceTime with up to 32 contacts
- Supports both audio and video calls
- Supports major international languages such as Arabic, Hebrew, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Spanish, Polish, Portuguese, and others
- Facetime works on both WiFi and cellular connections
- Compatible with iOS 10 or later
- Support iPhones, iPads, and even Macs
Also Read: 4 Best Free Mugshot Generator Tools.
4. Google Duo
Google Duo is another one of the best apps that you can use for free international calling. You can use it to make free audio and video calls to your contacts.
So, if you want to connect with your friends and family members living in foreign countries, then you can use Google Duo.
I had used Google Duo when I had an Android phone. The call quality is pretty excellent and performs better even when you have a low-speed internet connection.
Features of Google Duo
- Face to face video conversations with up to 12 people
- Works on both iOS and Android platforms
- Preview of persona calling with knock-knock feature
- Send a video message to share a moment
- Secure with end to end encryption
- A web-based version also available
5. Facebook Messenger
Facebook is the social media network of the century and is here to stay for many years to come. As the utmost goal of Facebook is to connect people around the world, it is doing a pretty good job with its Messenger application.
All you need is a Facebook account to use Messenger and connect with anyone to make free audio and video calls. It also supports group audio and video calls.
Some professional features of Facebook messenger include creating polls and add reminders. You can create groups for your teams and also add nicknames of the conversations to identify their purpose quickly.
Just like other free international calling apps on this list, it also supports file sharing.
Features of Facebook Messenger
- Group video calls up to 50 people
- Send and request money
- Send video and audio messages
- Supports integration of third-party extensions with conversations
- Access chatbots for a variety of purposes from booking a movie ticket to get the latest news update
- Add nicknames to conversations
- Start an encrypted secret conversation
- Use as a default messaging app for your phone
Also Read: 5 Best Mickey Mouse Font Generator Websites.
Slack is one of the best apps for making free calls internationally. It is popularly known for its team collaboration features.
It offers both free and paid versions. If you have basic requirements, then it is quite sufficient for audio, video, and conference calls.
I would not recommend it for personal use. If you just want to connect with your friends or family members living in another country, then WhatsApp, FaceTime, or Facebook Messenger offer more informal conversation tools such as emojis, sharing funny GIFs, etc.
If you are a startup or group members separated by geographical boundaries, then the free version of Slack is entirely sufficient for your remote communication requirements.
Getting started with Slack is pretty straightforward. Create a workspace for your team and invite your team members to join it. Once all of your team members have joined the workspace, you create public or private channels and seamlessly collaborate with them through free audio and video calls irrespective of their location.
Features of Slack
- Create team channels and team messaging
- Audio and video calls
- Supports integration with other applications such as Google Drive, Office 365, and 2,200+ others
- Workflow builder – automate routine tasks
- File sharing – deliver documents from anywhere
- Enterprise-grade data protection – single sign-on, domain claim, audit logs and integrations with DLP (Data Loss Prevention) providers
- Pin messages and reference links to channels
- Advanced search modifiers
- Share screen during video calls
- Seamless integration with other video conferencing tools such as Zoom, Cisco Webex Meetings, Microsoft Teams, BlueJeans, and Google+ Hangouts
Limitations of the free version of Slack
- Access to 10,000 most recent messages of your teams
- Only ten integrations available
- No group audio or video calls
- 5 GB file storage
- Standard customer support
IMO is another one of the most used internet messengers that you can use to make free international calls. It works as WhatsApp but has a cleaner UI and have the ability to ensure better call quality even on slow networks.
Features of IMO
- Audio and video calls
- Scan QR and bar code
- Support multi-person audio and video calls with up to 20 person
- Stable calls even on 2G networks
- HD video calls
- Support video calls up to 20 members
- Support file and document sharing (ZIP, MP3, PDF, etc.)
Viber has more than 1 billion users and is another free chatting app that you can use for free international calling purposes. Be it a one on one video meeting or conferencing up to 20 people.
To make free international calls using Viber, all parties should have it installed on their phone or desktop. However, it also offers Viber Out – an affordable global calling plan to easily connect with people with no internet connection and Viber app.
What I like the most about is that it offers many security features such as self-destruct chats, end to end encryption, and trusted contacts (similar to what WhatsApp offers).
Features of Viber
- Send quick audio and video calls
- Make quick voice calls and switch easily
- Chat extensions
- Stickers and GIFs
- Delete seen messages
- Cross-platform – available for Android, iOS, and desktop
- End to end encryption
WeChat is another one of the top free international calling apps on this blog. The chatting messenger works just like WhatsApp and is quite popularly used in China. One of the significant limitations of WeChat is that it doesn’t offer end to end encryption.
Features of WeChat:
- Free audio and video calls
- Message broadcasting
- Conference calls
- Scan QR code and share locations
- Newsfeed and support payments via WeChat E-wallet
- Integration with third-party apps to book rail tickets, taxi, movie tickets, movies, and other business services
Instagram is another of the best free international calling apps on this list. As it is a social media and around 100 million users are on it, you can connect with anyone here without incurring huge telephony costs.
If you are not on Instagram, then first create an account. After that, search for the username of that person and follow him/her. If the account of that person is private, you will first have to send a follow request. After that person accepts your request, you can connect with him/her by sending a direct message.
Lastly, you can place a free audio or video call using Instagram to that person and enjoy a seamless conversation. The only limitation is that, if you want to group video chat, there is a limit of maximum 6 participants at once.
11. Cisco Webex
Webex is widely popular as a communication tool for businesses. Therefore, if you are looking for a free solution to cater to your remote communication requirements, then Webex can serve this purpose exceptionally well.
From hosting team meetings to connect with potential clients over video conferencing, everything works on the fly. Hosting remote meetings is easy – create a meeting link and share it to invite anyone.
Your participants can quickly join from a video device and meet online using the shared link.
The best part of Cisco Webex is that it allows up to 100 participants in its free version and that too, with premium features such as HD video, screen sharing, and private rooms.
Features of Cisco Webex
- Supports integration with Gmail, Google Drive, GitHub, Office 365, Outlook
- HD quality video
- Customisable video layouts
- Record meetings with automatic transcriptions
- View participants and message them personally or in the group conferencing
- Share your screen with participants to give presentations or simply demonstrate an idea
- Once a meeting is over, you will automatically receive an MP4 file of the audio/video conferencing
12. Google Meet
Google Meet is an enterprise-grade video conferencing solution that you can also use to make free international calls. Its interface is quite minimalistic and performs better than MS Teams.
Even on slow internet connections, you can expect decent call quality. Based on your preferences, you can either use it to chat with your friends or host group meetings with your remote team members.
All you need is a Googe account to use Google Meet. With its free version, you can invite up to 100 participants and chat for up to 60 minutes per session. However, due to COVID-19 pandemic, Google has removed this limit through September 30th.
I would say Google Meet is one of the best free international calling apps out there. Do check it out.
Features of Google Meet
- Unlimited number of meetings
- Live captions service
- Support all devices and environments
- Audio and video preview screen
- Adjustable layouts
- The host can remove, pin or mute participants
- Share a specific screen or an entire desktop to participants
- Supports integration with Microsoft and Google apps
- Join from a browser
- Native apps
- Encryption in transit and at rest and 2-step verification
Also Read: 35 Motivational Family Business Quotes.
Starleaf is another secure and reliable app for calling anyone internationally without any cost. It is a business communication tool and supports one to one audio and video chats. Additionally, you can also host group meetings on the platform. The only downside is that the time limit for group calls is 45 minutes.
Features of Starleaf free version
- Unlimited 1 to 1 audio and video calls
- Group calls up to 20 participants
- Schedule meetings for Outlook, Google, and Teams
- Join with SPI, Skype for business, or H.323
- 200 MB storage for file sharing
- ISO/IEC 27001 security certified
Spike is another all-in-one communication suite for businesses offering Email, notes, tasks, team messaging, and video calls. You can use it to host team meetings with your employees irrespective of their geographical locations.
Just like Google Meet and Cisco Webex, there is no need to download or install this app for your meeting participants to join. All you have to do is share the joining link with them, and they can use their browsers (desktop or mobile) to join.
Features of Spike
- Up to 15k message history
- 20 group participants
- 5 GB storage
- Ten groups
- Encrypted emails
- Live collaboration
- Screen sharing during video conferencing
- SRTP encryption
15. Workplace by Facebook
Workplace by Facebook is a communication tool that you can use for free to connect all your team members. The best part is that it lets you make free audio and video calls with your colleagues. Therefore, if you are looking for a free app for business communication purposes, then you should check it out.
Features of Workplace by Facebook
- Create separate groups for teams and projects (up to 50)
- Share posts, videos, and documents in groups
- Live video broadcasting
- Personalised news feed
- Knowledge library for keeping static content
- Supports integrations with Office 365, Google Drive, Salesforce and SharePoint
- Group HD voice or video calls
- Video meetings of up to 50 participants
- Screen sharing
- Take polls and surveys for gathering employees’ feedback
- 5 GB file storage per person
Also Read: 30 Best Technology Quotes By World Leaders.
Recommended apps for personal use
With this, we conclude our hand-picked list of best free international calling apps. During this COVID-19 pandemic, the world needs to be closer than ever, and businesses need to communicate effectively to mitigate economic losses.
Based on your preferences, you can pick apps in this article for unlimited HD audio or video chat to anyone around the world. If you want to connect informally with anyone or group of people, then I would recommend chatting applications such as WhatsApp, WeChat, Viber, IMO, Facebook Messenger, or Instagram.
Recommended apps for business purposes
For business purposes, I would recommend choosing an app that draws a line between the personal and professional space of your employees. Slack is on the top of my recommendation list as I have personally used it for various purposes.
Apart from Slack, Google Meet is another quick way to connect one to one or for group meetings quickly. Just create a meeting link and share with the participants – no need to install anything and works seamlessly on the mobile devices as well.
In the current company (500+ employees) I am working, we are using MS Teams and being honest, and I am not entirely happy with its performance. There are many bugs while file sharing, and sometimes video call quality is also not up to the mark even on good networks. I wish it works very well for small teams, but for large enterprises, it doesn’t perform well.
Recently, I have started to explore the Workplace by Facebook, and it seems to be a promising communication tool for small teams. The interface is pretty similar to Facebook, and this is what makes it easier for employees to use it as most are already familiar with how Facebook works.
In case, I missed your favourite free international calling app, then do share it with others in the comments section or write to us at [email protected], and we will update this post.