This article will be looking at the 5 best free EPUB editor software for Windows. An EPUB (electronic publication) file is in the Open eBook file format. EPUB files can be downloaded and read on your smartphone, tablet, e-reader, or computer. This open-source eBook standard is supported by more hardware eBook readers than any other file format. However, few free editors can edit this eBook format.
We’ve compiled a list of EPUB editor software that allows you to quickly edit an EPUB ebook to address this issue. The majority of these editors can also edit the Index, Metadata, Book Cover, and other aspects of an EPUB eBook. These software packages include HTML editors that use HTML language to edit the main content of an eBook.
Also Read: 11 Best Free GIF Meme Maker Websites
Table of Contents
5 Best Free EPUB Editor Software for Windows
Below is a personally curated list of the top 5 best EPUB editors. Thousands of users trust these, and each has some unique features of its own.
Sigil is a free, open-source epub editor that lets you create an epub file that you can upload to most distributors (all but Amazon, actually). It’s surprisingly simple to use, and if you want more control over your ebook looks, Sigil lets you do some fine-tuning under the hood.
- Book View: The Book View is straightforward in that it displays EPUB content in text format without including any HTML code.
- Code View: In this mode, you can view the eBook content in HTML format. The software includes buttons for headings, fonts, alignment, etc. You don’t have to manually type in the HTML tags: Imports EPUB and HTML files, images, and style sheets.
- Character Support: Complete 16-bit Unicode Transformation Format support and EPUB 2 specification. Sigil also has an Insert Special Character tool that allows you to insert vulgar fractions and other special characters.
- Metadata Editor: Ebook metadata is all of the data about your book. It contains information such as the title, your author name, the ISBN of the ebook, the date it was published, and so on. This feature allows you to edit the metadata of your EPUB eBook.
It is yet another excellent free, open-source EPUB editor for Windows, Linux, and macOS. You can use this editor to change not only the content of an EPUB eBook but also its metadata. It has a dedicated editing section called Edit book that allows you to edit an eBook. Text, Style, Font, Add Cover, and other editing tools are available in the Edit book section.
- Sorting groups: This allows for manual eBook sorting and grouping. You can retrieve metadata from various sources, including websites, online sellers, periodicals worldwide, and social media sites for readers. The Calibre library can be searched using various fields such as author, title, or keyword.
- Creative Library: Ebooks can be imported into the Calibre library by manually sideloading files or wirelessly syncing an ebook reading device with the cloud storage service. The Calibre library is backed up or with the computer where Calibre is installed. Online content can also be harvested and converted to ebooks.
- Editors: Calibre is compatible with various file formats and reading devices. Most ebook formats allow editing, such as changing the font, font size, margins, and metadata and adding an auto-generated table of contents.
Magic is yet another open-source, free EPUB editor for Windows and macOS. It works similarly to Sigil editor and supports EPUB 2 and EPUB 3 eBooks.
You can use it to edit text, headings, and text styles without using HTML code. Additionally, Magic includes a Code section where you can use HTML codes to edit an EPUB eBook if desired.
- Multi-tab Interface: This useful Magic feature allows you to keep multiple EPUB eBooks open simultaneously.
- Book view and Code view: You can view and edit an eBook’s text content, fonts, and style in Book view. It also includes direct buttons (H1, H2, H3, Bold, Italic, and so on) to help with the editing process. The EPUB content is displayed in HTML format in the Code view. To edit an EPUB eBook in this mode, you must be familiar with the HTML language.
- Editing Exteriors: The index editor can be used to create or edit an EPUB ebook index. You can quickly replace an existing book cover with a new one by using the Add Cover feature.
Also Read: 10 Best Free PDF MetaData Editor for Windows
It provides an easy way to import text and XHTML files and create all the necessary EPUB file components. It also makes it simple to view and edit files and validate the generated EPUB using external tools.
In addition to the main content, you can change the metadata and the cover of an EPUB eBook. Because the main editor of this software displays the content of an eBook in HTML format, familiarity with the HTML language will aid you in editing EPUB eBooks with it.
- Main Editor: You can view EPUB content in HTML format in the main editor of this software. You can easily manually select and edit the Text, HTML Tags, Commands, etc. However, you will not find direct buttons for everyday tasks such as Underline, Bold Italic, and so on, so you will have to manually write tags every time you want to change the style of the text.
- Different Modes: As part of a build script, it can be run from the command line. Because data and settings are stored locally, you can also use them in portable mode.
- Edit and Cover: It enables text or XHTML file editing using a simple internal editor or designated external editors. It assists you in creating a simple cover design image. It can generate titles, content, and cover pages if desired.
5. Tweak ePub
Tweak ePub is a free Windows executable download that allows you to manage an existing ePub. It will open it and display the entire file structure.
The best part is that it allows you to edit text files in your preferred editor and then reassemble them into an ePub file. It will also unzip the entire ePub file into a folder and allow you to edit it with any tool. It’ll reassemble the ePub with the modified files when you’re finished.
- Editing: You can edit the text files (HTML, XML, CSS, OPF, and so on) included in the EPUB package. You can use a dedicated editor to edit any file. Tweak ePub also lets you delete files, replace them, rename them, or add new ones. Additionally, you can delete any of the subfolders or add new ones.
- Adobe Digital Editions: A unique feature is the ability to preview changes while still inside the modified EPUb using Adobe Digital Editions on your PC. Tweak EPUB also does not require installation and can be placed anywhere.
- Utility Quick Launch: If you need to edit many EPUB files, going through this procedure for each EPUB file may become tedious. If you frequently tweak EPUB files, you can use the Windows Explorer “Open with” right-click command to open any EPUB file in the “tweak epub” utility right away.
Also Read: 7 Best Free HEIC Viewers for Windows
These are some excellent free EPUB metadata editor programs for Windows. You can easily edit the metadata parameters of an Ebook file using this free software. So, if you are looking for free software to edit the metadata of Ebook files, you can use any of the software listed above.