As we evolve to the new media era, more companies have depended on technology to gather and store data. Unfortunately, this change may have caused an increase in cyber-attack cases. The most expensive breach ever was the Yahoo hack, which compromised 3 billion data records.
Thus, establishing strong security is vital to prevent any cybersecurity issues. Availing of website testing services is an excellent step since it also checks the safety of your app. Use the checklist below to keep it protected and safe.
Table of Contents
Web Application Security Checklist Guide
The procedure for establishing a solid security system is critical. Make one bad error, and you would be paying millions of fines for the security breach.
That is why it is vital to know the correct processes of keeping your web application protected and safe from attackers. Here are four primary things that you should focus on for your web application’s security.
Establishing strong protection and security should not only be the job of a developer or company. Users also have an equal responsibility in making a web application safe and secure.
This aspect is vital, especially in the matter of choosing a password combination. If most people have a weak password, not only does it affect the user, but it also puts your web application in a dangerous position as well.
To secure the passwords, you must:
- Encourage people to make their passwords longer and in a series of combinations. The longer the password combination a person has, the harder it is for the hackers to open their accounts.
- Encourage users to avoid using the same passwords for other applications and sites.
- Avoid storing plain-text user passwords. Use a hashing system to encrypt user passwords instead.
- Set a limitation for login attempts per IP.
- Establish strong security for password reset system (example: security questions)
2. Prevent SQL Injection
An SQL injection is a common yet high-risk type of security danger. It entails the process of interfering with the SQL database and its queries. If the attack is successful, attackers can see a person’s information, payment details, and other sensitive credentials.
There are a lot of SQL injection categories. Typical instances are modifying, changing, and extracting data from the queries. You must do these precautions below to prevent this type of attack:
- Opt for prepared statements (also named parameterized queries) in accessing the SQL database
- Verify user inputs and make a safelist for all valid statements
- Make use of stored procedures with variable binding
- Always check for patches and update regularly
- Dispose of unneeded database functionalities
Also Read: 5 Ways the Cloud Can Benefit Your Business
3. Secure API (Application Programming Interface) Connection
For many companies, APIs are vital to connect and send data across various networks. But, using APIs can also give challenges as regards security. Some apparent security breaches are due to hacked and exposed APIs. Thus, protecting the API connection is essential in web application security as well.
To avoid this issue, you should:
- Make sure that you can see the API of your application
- Use strongly encrypted text to secure your data
- Keep a constant eye on any possible API issues
- Utilize a solid and trustworthy API gateway
- Know what third-party content (such as plug-ins) you are using, if any. Determine whether it is safe or not.
- Avoid exposing any data (such as sensitive information) when not necessary.
4. Other Factors That Are Also Essential to Security
Aside from passwords, SQL injection, and API, there are other factors that you should focus on as well. These factors would include
- Always use the current and latest version of libraries
- Check and filter all your data and determine whether it is trustworthy or not. Unless specified, always assume that everything is untrustworthy until proven otherwise.
- Use HTTPS and not HTTP
- Deny old version browsers from opening your web application.
Having strong security is essential for any web application. That is because it protects you from the risk of any cyber-attacks such as security breaches.
Today, we have compiled the four things you need to focus on for your application’s security. The list includes securing passwords, preventing SQL injections, securing API, and other factors.
Remember, if you do not take care of its security, you might end up paying millions in fines. Not only that. It also compromises a person’s private credentials and other sensitive data. Hire a trustworthy expert to take care of the security, to be sure.