A .NET developer is an expert in the software development niche, mainly for the Windows platform. A .NET developer must be an expert in programming languages like C#, F#, VB.NET, and all the other .NET framework-compatible programming languages.
To hire a .NET developer, you must verify certain factors to make the right decision.
Table of Contents
- What is .NET Development?
- Where can you find good .NET developers?
- 7 Essential Skills to Look for in a .NET Developer
- How to Hire a .NET Developer In 2023
- Interview questions to ask when interviewing a .Net developer.
What is .NET Development?
.NET is a software development platform developed by Microsoft. It includes a runtime environment called CLR or Common Language Runtime and a set of class libraries called the .NET Framework Class Library (FCL).
The .NET platform is designed to build, deploy, and run various applications, including web, mobile, desktop, gaming, and IoT (Internet of Things) applications.
.NET developers use a programming language, such as C# or VB.NET, to write code compiled and executed by the CLR.
The .NET Framework provides a large set of pre-built libraries and frameworks that developers can use to build their applications, including libraries for web development (ASP.NET), data access (ADO.NET), and user interface (WPF).
In addition to the .NET Framework, Microsoft has also released a cross-platform variant of .NET called .NET Core, which you can use to build applications that run on multiple platforms, including Windows, Linux, and macOS.
Where can you find good .NET developers?
Here’s how you can find .NET developers for your project:
- Job boards and recruiting agencies: You can use job boards and recruiting agencies to post job listings and search for qualified candidates. Some popular job boards for developers include LinkedIn, Glassdoor, and Dice.
- Professional networks and events: Networking events, meetups, and other professional gatherings can be a great way to connect with .NET developers and find potential candidates for your project.
- Referrals: You can also ask your existing network of professionals, including your current employees and other business contacts, for referrals to .NET developers they know and trust.
- Freelance websites: Websites like Upwork and Freelancer can be good resources for finding freelance .NET developers.
7 Essential Skills to Look for in a .NET Developer
1. Programming Languages – As .NET is compatible with a wide range of programming languages, the candidate you are looking for must possess expertise in several programming languages. Candidates having expertise in C#, F#, C++, and other programming languages must be prioritized.
2. Frameworks – .NET is a vast concept. If the candidate you hire has a firm grip over multiple frameworks integrating a wide range of features using several .NET frameworks will not be an issue.
If hiring a .NET developer for a front-end role, ensure the individual has expertise in AngularJS, HTML, Bootstrap, and even CSS. For a back-end position, .NET web API, .NET MVC, and Signal R are crucial.
3. Scrum – .NET developers must be able to work in SCRUM, one of the agile development methodologies for designing, developing, delivering, and even maintaining complicated software solutions. It helps them learn the existing principles of agile development.
4. Other Skills – A candidate with knowledge in .NET programming, object-focused programming, windows workflow, and controls can bring several benefits to ensure seamless development processes.
5. Experience – Having an experienced candidate onboard will require less training and guidance than a fresher candidate.
6. Portfolio – Review applicants’ portfolios to verify their service quality. It will help you judge their work capability and standards.
7. Testimonials – If an applicant has testimonials from his clients or former managers, going through them will help you identify the strength and weaknesses of the candidate.
How to Hire a .NET Developer In 2023
Step 1: Informative Job Opening
The first step to hiring the right .NET developer for your company starts with writing an informative job opening. An informative job description without the use of complicated adjectives can be practical as well.
Step 2: Search The Right Places
Searching your desired candidates for the .NET developer role at the right places is essential. For example, freelancing platforms will not be ideal for your requirement for full-time employees. You can try posting your job opening through hiring agencies or job portals.
Step 3: HR Interview
An essential HR interview can help determine the candidate’s soft skills, like communication. It will also help to know more details that are not available in CVs.
Step 4: Test Task
A task to test the skills and capability of a candidate can be ideal for a technical role like a .NET developer.
Step 5: Team Lead Interview
An interview session with a TL from the department is essential as it will help identify the ideal candidate with the right skills needed for the company at that specific time.
Step 6: Another Test Task
Once a candidate clears the TL interview, another test task will help, but this time a more complex one. It will test the efforts of the candidate and his ability to work under pressure.
Step 7: CTO Interview
A candidate who has cleared all the stages mentioned above during the selection process is credible enough. Still, another interview session with the CTO will help verify the candidate’s abilities before employing him.
Interview questions to ask when interviewing a .Net developer.
Here are some potential interview questions you could ask when interviewing a .NET developer:
- Can you explain the difference between the .NET Framework and .NET Core?
- How do you handle exceptions in .NET? Please give an example of exception handling in .NET.
- Can you explain the difference between a value type and a reference type in .NET?
- How do you implement inheritance in .NET?
- Can you explain how the Common Language Runtime (CLR) works in .NET?
- Can you describe how you would optimize the performance of a .NET application?
- Have you worked with any .NET frameworks for web development, such as ASP.NET or ASP.NET Core? If so, can you describe your experience?
- Have you worked with any .NET data access technologies, such as ADO.NET or Entity Framework? If so, can you describe your experience?
- Please share your experience with unit testing in .NET? Do you use any specific tools or frameworks for unit testing?
- Have you worked with any cloud-based technologies, such as Azure or AWS, in your .NET development? If so, can you describe your experience?
.NET developer is a vital role for a company, and having the right candidate on board becomes vital. Focusing on the selection process will help select the correct fitting candidates for the interview process. The most suitable candidates can be identified and recruited for the .NET developer role.